Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Verbal haymaker in the middle of the night

We were IMing. Things were going fine. We were talking of ice cream cakes and the beach house, the upcoming summer. This conversation made sense, I was happy, I thought she was happy. "It really hurts when I visit and you brush me off for the martial arts. You do a lot of that hurt me sometimes" I did not how to respond, I would not do so for several hours. Every possible answer sounded snide and cruel.

So I emailed her around 3 am. I asked the thing that scares me, the trigger that could end us, the question I didn't dare ask even here:

"If I cause you such constant pain and suffering, why are you still with me?"

She responded with an apology and stress over her thesis, but is that a true answer or a generalized response, an unmeaning evasion?

I cannot escape the accusation of betrayal and failure. I try to offer what I can, but it is never enough. The more I give, the less, it seems, it's worth.

No comments: