Monday, June 8, 2009

I miss the drive-in: conspicuous consumption

Another thing, I've been thinking about texting in movie theaters. I've always hated it, never understood how anyone could be that inconsiderate, to be lacking in common sense and empathy to the degree which they couldn't understand how texting fucks up the movie going experience for other patrons. My answer came in the form of a question. Maybe they DO understand? Perhaps the point here is THEY WANT TO BE SEEN. It's another form of conspicuous consumption. It's blue toothed douche-baggery, a kind of asshole double jeopardy. If no one asks them to do anything then they get to enjoy the performance of texting AND being an unchecked dickhead. If someone does ask, then the texter wins acknowledgment that HE has a cellphone, that he knows how to text, that HE is technologically adept, and that he has the disposable income to afford texting. I think I'm on to something here, but I'm not sure if "asshole double jeopardy" is best descriptor (although I love the sound of it.) Yeah, yeah I'm sure someone else came to this revelation before I did, but god damn, I'm not the last, and if this is true, then the best way to handle these movie-molesting philistines can be extrapolated from the true cause. Fuck those guys. I want to make THEIR movie going experience as miserable as possible.

No comments: