Friday, August 1, 2008

August Surprise

Carlos Machado is holding a one day seminar tomorrow (BJJ) about an hour from where I love this. This was announced five days ago. It's only 50 bucks, so a few guys from the dojo are going up. Carlos is one of the Fabulous Machado Brothers! family of bjj champions. I may have mentioned that all 5 brothers are holding a four day seminar in October (600 dollars!!! ack!). Since I'm saving money to go to that one, I figured this one day thing would be a good way to preview what's in store for me in October.

I expect a lot of basic drills, some roll time, and I hope to god no one is in the "crazy white belt" stage of development. I hate trying to go 50 percent and the other guy goes nuts. It forces me to work harder than I should, rather than focus on technique, and since I'm the little guy, I always end up on the short end of the bruise stick. (But I have learned a neat little armbar from the bottom for when the CWB tries to neck crank you--this is a good self defense armbar, as the neck crank looks very much like a choke, 'cept the hands go behind the neck instead of around it)

Hope to post thoughts on the seminar tomorrow evening--now that I'm awake and all.

"now that I'm awake and all"
(half a Joss Whedon)

No comments: