Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A few words on the bad guys

A Decree: A few words on the bad guys

I will not refer to the two perps as men, not ever again. They do not fulfill any definition of man that I find worthy. I am not trying to dehumanize them. They aren’t animals they aren’t monsters. I think it is fair to refer to them as children, stupid children, or ignorant, or assholes or bastards or dicks or perpetrators or perps but I think I like children best. These were the crimes of powerless children, fumbling desperately for some form of control. They couldn’t exert it over the direction of their own lives; they lacked the gravitational pull of intellect, the energy generated by character. They made us powerless, afraid, but they were never in control. They were fumbling idiots who stormed into the wrong apartment, could never agree on a course of action. What they took from us was temporary, whether they know it or nor they are wanted me—children, wanted by the police. They have no idea how fragile their own lives are. When those lives crumble, we will be waiting to confront them. The moment they wronged us they surrendered any hope of true empowerment.

I have no thirst for vengeance though. I believe in the justice system, flawed as it is, I believe in justice not merely as an idea, but as an achievable goal. They should be tried by a community.

I have very definite ideas of what should happen to perpetrators. But I will bring this up in a separate post.

No comments: