Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ten Year Reunion

I went to my high school graduation this weekend. It began as unreal. Many-a-girl had gained quite a few pounds. In most cases I think it was pregnancy weight, but I wasn’t gonna risk asking that question. The guys weren’t much better, that’s not to say that everyone was morbidly obese, but I’ve always been a bit weight conscious. (My weight hasn’t fluctuated much at all). When people broke off into clusters, and I found myself watching from afar THAT’S when it felt like high school. I wasn’t excluded or an outcast in high school. It just always felt there was this large emotional gulf between me and everyone else; I experienced this even with the groups of people I was friends with.

Most everyone attended, thirty five out of a possible forty one. A large chunk of my class have advanced degrees—several J.Ds, at least two Masters, and one M.D.

I told one person, about what happened to me. I try not to just so I don’t have to answer a lot of questions about my girlfriend. Unfortunately, my inner monologue collapsed on me, so I didn’t have much of a choice. Her reaction, of course, was shock and concern.

No comments: