Tuesday, September 4, 2007

There is danger in fighting fools

Something happened at work today that really pissed me off. I was answering phones. Etc when my mother was relating a story to coworkers in another room. I grew up in the South during the pre Hispanic immigration boom. My parents would have to constantly spell our last name for people. One day, when I was 2 or so, I corrected someone and spelled the last name for them. Another coworker quipped that it was the only time I had ever spoken up for myself. This “woman” has known my mother for years. She is a good nurse, but an ass, loud and obnoxious. In addition she must be one or more of the following: stupid, because I was in earshot (and she, as always, was the loudest person), classless, because she has, as far as I know, a basic idea of what happened to me, ignorant, because she doesn’t really know me as well as thinks she does as she has never spent any amount of time with me that I would consider revealing in any way.

Her comment made me angry…but I didn’t say anything. And I’m not so sure if that was the proper recourse. By not saying anything one could say I strengthened her case, but if I had said something I…don’t think I could have stopped before making a scene. Nor am I convinced taking action would have been productive. She belongs to a very special class of people: the baby kickers.

What separates a baby kicker from your usual asshole isn’t that she’d kick a baby, that would be too generic; rather, when said baby would cry SHE’D turn around and get upset. “This baby is annoying! She hurts my ears! Someone make her shut up” So I risk her making a scene in an office environment that can get pretty high pressure in a short time span. I don’t know where maturity stops and authoritarianism begins.

Also, after thinking about it later, I’m disappointed in my mother. Why didn’t she stand up for me? We will have to have a talk about this later. It didn’t bother me at the time, but the more I think about it the angrier it makes me.

On a more pleasant note my girlfriend is coming to town tomorrow. She is big on table top RPGs particularly the old Changeling game. Well, the new one came out and I’ve already bought her a copy. I’ve also got her some Newman’s Own lemonade, which is the greatest mass produced lemonade in the history of ever. IF you haven’t tried it, get off your ass! It’s gotten harder and harder to find in the last three years. Hell, I hadn’t found anywhere that sold for well over a year, but I finally found a place. Now if I could only get my hands on a pint of Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream.

BTW When I hear the phrase “Americone Dream” my mind fills with a certain Spanish insult.

We haven’t spent anytime together in well over .

I’m thinking about what happened again. Grr. I’m gonna watch wrestling….hopefully that won’t make me angrier.

No comments: