Thursday, June 19, 2008

Feeling Fine

I feel good. I feel good about jujitsu. I've done it three nights in a row, and will go again tonight.
As I move back to a heavy schedule I've resolved to do jujitsu 4 nights a week as best I can and two hours of JKD a week, and 1 one hour of Judo throws.


In unrelated news, I'm reading Dracula, prepping for my brit lit class that starting monday. Funny, how the department head thought my 4 classes in brit lit qualified me to teach it, when in truth, I know little, my real knowledge base is horror, but I think everything will be fine as I'm dividing the class thusly: half a session devoted to student presentations on poets, the other half devoted to teaching Dracula. Only problem now is figuring out what do we read when Dracula is finished? I've had a few ideas ranging from Alan Moore's Watchmen to Fowles' The Collector. (The closer I got to modern times, the wider my knowledge base).

And where am I gonna find the time to write and blog? Ugh. It's back to good ole will power and elbow grease.

3 comments:

Jae Jagger said...

You're a professor of lit??

TigrMchine said...

Yeah, I suppose technically, I am. I've got a MA in Lit, with an undergrad in creative writing.

Truthfully, I want to get back in on Creative Writing side, I'm applying to MFA programs, writing this blog, writing poems, fiddling with a few fiction and nonfiction pieces.

Jae Jagger said...

I kind of fell half in love with an english professor once (technically only a lecturer because he wasn't tenured, nor would he ever be because he didn't have a Ph.D.). I gave him my blog address once, and he started reading it daily. The single most talented unpublished writer I know. He told me, the last time we went out, "You can't save me." He was right, but back then, when I was younger, I was out to save souls, and save lives. Anyway, he was very encouraging, but he thought my blogging was a waste of time.

You should do more with your blog. Focus on your entries, and take them seriously. Maximize them.

I've taken a few English courses, all the basic shit you have to go through to get to the major courses. My climb in the undergrad latter was stopped though when a professor refused me in her class when she found out I was on Vicodin. She was afraid I would say something "inappropriate" in discussion, and that I couldn't keep up despite the almost straight A's in English (I got a B in tech writing). She couldn't really stop me from being there--but it was such a small class, senior level course, and why would I want to be here, if she didn't want me there?

Anyway, you have to write about the stuff you don't want to write about, it's all part of the narcissistic, exhibitionist movement in writing. That's a blog. That's good stuff.