Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Searching for Survivors

In my never ending battle to find other survivors I've learned:

1. Surprise! The overwhelming majority of sexual trauma survivors are female (shock!)

2. I am desperate to connect with more people who've survived, I have this need to
build...a context, a reference point.

3. It seems the vast majority of survivor/victim blogs are one time howls
One, two, three entries tops, then they disappear into the techno ether.

4. Uh, I'm not going to name blogs, but I don't think everyone is working on all thrusters.
I contacted one blogger who compiled stories on rape, it's a worthy goal, but I was a bit put off
by her phrasing of "rapists and their allies" In respect to the United States and Canada this seemed like paranoia. A suspicion that was not alleviated when said blogger, cited a unsourced comment as proof, that level of gullibility is dangerous. There are people who will say anything, lie about rape, pregnancy, even their own last name. (I had an ex who did all three AND lied to me TWICE about where she went to school.)
Challenging such claims is difficult though since you're likely to run into blog rules such as "no denying the experiences of others." Sigh, trauma studies means well, but censoring truth in favor of affirmative speech is not one of it's strong points (also has a bad habit of constructing binary oppositions.

5. If these websites were people, I'd want to choke out 90% of them. Part of it is the Trauma Studies vocabulary, which can sound like a bad self help manual. Also, I find most of the blogs alienating. I think, regretfully, this is because of the target audience: women and the most likely publishers: women. A few of these pages are excruciatingly frilly or a Neil Gaiman cosmo-fart, that's not a knock in and of itself, just a disconnect with me. Maybe it's connected to my experience as a victim maybe it isn't, buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttt I'm thinkin' "I'm a guy, I've been emasculated, effectively feminized, what do I need? A huge dose of girl power!" After all, I did dive headfirst into martial arts.

2 comments:

The Survivor said...

I'm guilty of not being consistent.I don't want to write daily because it's difficult to dwell on the abuse.

The Survivor said...

I want to write but it terrifies me to do it. It's silly...