Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Games People Play

I've been reading a few sex worker blogs. Why? Dunno something to do with Ms. Breslin. Maybe I'm just a tad nostalgic for the old wild west days of AOL when I was a gun slingin' chat host with gag power and a big ole' emoticon smile. Maybe my search to connect my remote island in the middle of the blogmuda triangle to the rest of the sphere took a wrong turn at Albuquerque or Detroit or Tallahassee---yeah, it was probably Tallahassee. "Ah Florida," Patton Oswalt said, "where the air smells like rape." Tastes like it too.

Anyway, I've learned a couple of things in my wanderings. One, I am apparently the only one whose not on the verge of a book deal. Two, there are a couple of folks out there with something worth saying. I see a lot of potential in The Panther in Pumps but the web teems with three things:

1. Men pretending to be women
2. Assholes who think they know everything about movies,
but haven't seen anything made before their D.O.B
3. Mutual Appreciation Societies

Category 3 is the only concern, once you fall pray to the horrors of groupspeak, you might as well go Republican. I've commented a few times, not intending to stir the pot, just offer a different perspective on the material, pointing out what I see as the strengths and weaknesses. Quite honestly, I considered my approach to be mild; neverthless, one or two commenters acted as if I spat in her face. Oh well. I thought about just saying you know, I'm a :::censored:::: there are things I can help you out with that most commenters can't, but I've decided against it. It's her blog, I'm not trying to jockey for some sort of authority position, certainly not on someone else's web space. As much as I disdain the groupspeak dynamic, vying for an authoritarian space of my own wouldn't do her much better, and it would ruin the spirit of blogs.

It's about time I started looking in a different direction.

3 comments:

The Survivor said...

I've been reading college call girl for months. :) She's at http://collegecallgirl.blogspot.com

TigrMchine said...

I'll have to check it out. Do you know of any other blogs written by people who've suffered some sort of sexual trauma?

The Survivor said...

Not really, collegecallgirl is a survivor of numerous sexual assault and a call girl. I only read Survivor of rape and incest and you that are related to an assault.

Let me know if you enjoy CCG. It can be graphic tho.